Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Price guidelines

Because people have been asking for knitted items, I wanted to write down a minimum price scale. These prices may seem high, but if we were to do the math (which we will), you would see how little I make for my labor.



                                            (Click to enlarge the chart.)

For example, let's start with a sock.

Price = $65
Yarn = approximately $20
Labor = minimum of 15 hours

If we subtract the cost of the yarn ($20) from the price of the sock ($65), that leaves a $45 profit. Divide $45 by the 15 hours (which is a very low estimate), and you will see that I make only $3/hour - well below minimum wage!

Now let's look at a lace shawl. We are assuming that this is a very basic shawl with a simple pattern and a wool or wool/silk blend, about 450 yards.

Price = $175
Yarn = approximately $20
Labor = knitting time, minimum 20 hours. blocking time (soaking the shawl and pinning it out to dry), 40 minutes. Let's just round that up to 1 hour for ease. That is at least 21 hours. I also consider my chronic pain; blocking is extremely painful for me.

Again, let us subtract the price of yarn ($20) from the cost of the shawl ($175). If we divide that amount ($155) by 21 hours, we find that I am making $7.40/hour.

My goal here is to show that there is a lot of time that goes into even a very basic knit item. I know that the prices seem high, but I really don't make much profit. Yes, you could go into a store and buy a scarf for $20, but you are not getting a one of a kind, hand made item. I will admit, this 'disclosure' is as much for me as it is for you. I find it very difficult to talk about prices in this range; it is exceedingly uncomfortable. I am learning, however, that I need to value myself as a worker and an artisan.

1 comment: